Managing risk on two sides: The unique challenges of integrating ESG for the insurance industry
【How ESG factors are influencing risk assessments: climate change, capital modelling and extreme events】
· How are recent weather-related events, which are being linked to climate change, changing insurance pricing, coverage and market sentiment? Are ‘extreme’ events no longer so extreme?
· What are the major ESG factors now that are influencing underwriting and capital provision at insurers?
· Tightening regulation on ESG issues and its impact on the insurance industry.
· Is the historical data available to utilise ESG factors as a performance predictor or gauge of risk quality?
· The development of new ESG risk-specific insurance products. Differences in the above trends globally.
【Divestment, investment and the move to ESG benchmarking】
· Why are insurers getting on the front foot around divestment in areas such as coal or tobacco?
· Insurers as investors: how this asset owner sector is shaping its long-term allocations with ESG factors in mind.
· What are the investment tools insurers are using to do so?
Axel Zehren, CFO, Allianz Investment Management
Michael Bruch, Head of Emerging Trends and the ESG department in Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty SE (AGCS)
Butch Bacani, Programme Leader, UNEP FI Principles for Sustainable Insurance Initiative
Linda-Eling Lee, Global Head of ESG Research, MSCI
MODERATOR: Hugh Wheelan, Managing Editor, Responsible Investor